BALCONY GARDEN DESIGN SYDNEY
Inspiring outdoor living
Balcony garden design Sydney
Do you need more entertainment space or a quiet balcony garden room for relaxation and privacy?
Balcony garden design in Sydney has become more popular with the huge growth in apartment living. This has created a challenge for Sydney and the Eastern Suburbs with less outdoor space available to unwind and relax.
The apartment garden design service combines modern garden styling with expertise in small garden design. Your outdoor area will be designed using the latest space effective balcony design ideas.
Our clients say
Sydney balcony designer
Our design approach blends the relaxed Sydney way of life with our small garden ideas. The result is a modern balcony garden perfect for apartment living.
Compact garden ideas
Small balcony design
Your small balcony may not have room for lawns & decking, but great impact can be achieved using professional plant choices and styling. This usually includes creative use of furniture, outdoor pots, wall art and other space effective styling elements.
Contact us to arrange a design consultation tailored to your ideas and Sydney balcony size.
Balcony landscape designer
Your small garden project begins with accurate measurements – where every centimetre counts (including vertical spaces).
Balcony garden plants
Your balcony garden plants are hand selected to withstand elevated conditions for outdoor apartment living. New balcony plants are selected to be water & wind tolerant, shade or sun tolerant, depending on the elevation and direction of your balcony.
Outdoor pots for small garden design
Great pot selection is essential for your new apartment garden. The right pot combinations will introduce a sense of drama using larger and fewer pots to save space and maximise greenery.
Styling your small space – We use furniture, lights, outdoor pots, mirrors, and small extras to help create the final impact.
Our landscape garden projects
Sydney landscape design services
Designing new commercial gardens involves creative ideas that take into account council regulations, fast approvals and the project budget.
We provide solutions for all commercial landscaping projects.
Our landscape plans are also suitable for DA or CDC developments. These can be lodged with council with your architect plans.
Balcony Garden Design Service Areas
Balcony landscape design Sydney NSW - Q&A
The are some important tips when designing any compact outdoor garden to maximise space
- Measure every single area including wall space
- Draw up a list of priorities of what you want to pack in bearing in mind the available space.
- Utilise vertical spaces with vertical gardens, mirrors or sidetables.
- Be careful not to oversize tables or furniture.
- Create privacy screening from neighbours (may need body corporate approval).
- Incorporate space effective pots and plant styling.
Develop balcony priorities based on the size of the available space. Two fundamental priorities remain constant with all our small garden designs – to flow easily from the indoors plus careful use of perimeter and wall space.
Best balcony gardens
Young families will have different needs to downsizers, but the best balcony ideas keep all the garden elements minimal and low maintenance.
- Create one or focal point to maintain simplicity.
- Ensure plants can cope with wind and sun exposure.
- Utilise vertical spaces efficiently with vertical gardens or other garden styling ideas like artwork or mirrors.
- Utilise space effective troughs in light colours.
- Use small furniture with narrow arms and when in doubt, go smaller than you think.
- Cover over any outdoor air conditioning or storage areas.
- Consider all available design services – such as rooftop garden design Sydney.
Our planting plan helps soften balcony spaces with plants that are wind, sun or shade tolerant.
Popular plants include;
- Herbs – Many people like to use fresh herbs in their cooking including mint, oregano, basil, thyme & chives.
- Bamboo – We recommend Slender Weaver – especially for privacy.
- Succulents – Drought and sun tolerant requiring little maintenance.
- Star Jasmine – Can be trained to grow against your apartment wall. Has a beautiful fragrance when in bloom.
- Hanging plants from baskets
Best balcony designer
We prefer not to introduce too much colour variety in smaller apartment gardens. Our designs generally focus on achieving variety using different textures rather than colour.
Balconies in Sydney can vary greatly in size. For example rooftop and penthouse gardens can be massive. Newer large apartment developments tend to be more compact.
Key areas that quickly blow a budget include;
- New flooring or waterproofing.
- Decking OR Natural stone flooring.
- Planting established plants.
- Buying expensive pots.
- Built in barbeque area or outdoor kitchen.
- Imported furniture.
Almost all our clients want to achieve their dream outdoor balcony space. During our initial on-site visit, we can very easily provide budget guidelines to help you understand the costs attached and creative ideas to tailor your dreams to your budget.
Balconies are usually limited for space, so bearing this in mind, These are Vogue & Vine’s best plant styling tips.
- Maximise boundary planting for privacy and space efficiency.
- Keep plants and pots small and vary the shapes.
- Minimise the use of different coloured plants. Achieve variety using texture, sizing and shapes.
- Avoid plants with leaves that are too large (especially for smaller spaces).
- Vertical gardens are a great space effective solution.
- Use mirrors to reflect plants and make garden look bigger.